not in education employment or training (neet)

we can support you to stay in school, or get back into education if you've left

NEET is our service for young people, aged 16 or 17, who aren't in employment, education or training.

your education matters

No matter what you want to do or who you want to be, getting the right education now will build your confidence, give you important skills and make you stand out when you apply for a job.

If you’ve left school or you’re thinking about leaving, a youth coach can help you find your way forward.

who we can help

You might be invited to take part if:

  • you’re 16 or 17, and you’re not in school, training or work
  • you’re 16 or 17, and you’re in school or training, but you’re at risk of dropping out, or
  • you’re 15, and you’ve left school with a Ministry of Education leaving exemption.

If this sounds like you, you can get in touch with your local youth service provider to find out how they may be able to help.

contact your nearest provider

planning your future

Your youth coach will help you find your path to the life you want.

You’ll talk to them about where you want to be and decide what training you need to get there.

They can help you get on the best course for you or tell you about ways you can get training while you work. They can also help with things that make it easier for you to focus on studying, like getting a driver licence.

supporting you

Whatever is going on in your life, your youth coach will be on your side. If you need to talk, your coach will listen. If your goals change, your coach can help you come up with a new plan. If something is holding you back, your coach can help you figure it out.

You can be in touch with your coach as much as you need to, but you’ll speak to them at least once a month, and meet at least every 90 days.

connecting you to other services

Your youth coach will tell you about any money you could get towards your studies, like a student allowance, scholarship or fees free study.

scholarships, grants and awards

studylink: student allowance

If you’re dealing with an issue like a mental health problem, addiction or a family crisis, your coach can put you in touch with a service that can help.

help for you and your whānau

You or someone in your whānau may be able to get some extra help if they’ve lost their job, can’t work at the moment or if they’re working and have a low income job. We can help with things like:

  • food
  • accommodation
  • power, gas, heating or water
  • medical and dental care.

get help with urgent or unexpected costs

benefits and payments for you, your family and whānau

Get in touch to find out what help you can get

phone work and income

Helpful links

family services directory 

information sharing

The Ministry of Social Development has a formal agreement with the Ministry of Education and Oranga Tamariki to share information about young people that are at risk of not being in education, employment or training.

A young person may complain to the Privacy Commissioner if personal information relating to them is disclosed in breach of the Privacy Act or authorisations provided for in the Social Security Act 2018.