nowhere to stay tonight?

we may be able to help

If you have nowhere to stay tonight and you're enrolled in Youth Service, contact your youth coach.

how your youth coach can help you

Your coach can:

  • talk to you about your options
  • help you find a place to stay for the next few days, and
  • help you find somewhere more permanent to live.

If you don't know how to contact your youth coach, call your Youth Service provider and ask for your youth coach.

contact your nearest provider

If you’re not enrolled in Youth Service, we may still be able to help you. You might be able to get a place in a transitional house, or a grant to pay for emergency housing. You can call our general enquiries line 0800 559 009 and say "youth client" when you call.

transitional housing

Your youth coach may try to find you a space in transitional housing, where you can stay for a few months while you find a more permanent home.

There are transitional housing providers all over New Zealand, and they cater for different groups of people.

Not all transitional housing providers accept taiohi. If you’re younger than 18, we’ll do our best to make sure you have somewhere to stay – but if the place you're currently living is safe, the best option may be to find a solution that means you can stay there.

Lots of transitional housing providers have strict rules and breaking them can mean you get evicted straight away. If you’re staying in transitional housing, make sure you know the rules and follow them.

emergency housing

If you have nowhere to stay tonight or in the next seven days, you may be able to apply for emergency housing.

To find out more about emergency housing, contact your Youth Service provider or visit the Work and Income website: 

work and income: emergency housing